CAD in the Cloud
Jon Peddie Research (JPR) and Business Advantage Group (BA) today announced the availability of their co-created report on CAD in the Cloud (CiC) to present a 2017 view of trends in this market. The report is based on a custom designed survey, fielded worldwide, together with other insights and additional industry data. Content details of the report are available here.
CAD/CAM/CAE users are at the early stages of cloud-based workflows. Software vendors are confident of the benefits of leveraging the cloud and are developing products for their customers. However, there is a mismatch in definitions and expectations between customers and vendors, causing an adoption delay but we are seeing customer attitudes change very quickly from entrenched positions to acceptance.
The report is intended for the following in the CAD/CAM/CAE/PLM and PDM sectors:
- Product, Development and Marketing Managers of Software and Hardware Vendors and System Integrators
- User organisations – Design, Engineering and CAD Managers and executives
- Research professionals and analysts
Read this report to understand the current thinking of:
- professional engineers, designers, architects and managers
- design/engineeringdecision makers
- by industry, geography, company size, decision making authority and in some areas software usage.
For these groups, the report includes insights into areas such as:
- current and future usage plans for CAD in the Cloud
- which companies users perceive as the leading CAD in the Cloud vendors
- perceived importance of CAD in the Cloud
- benefit perception vs. reality of CAD in the Cloud
- perceived enablers and inhibitors of CAD in the Cloud
- evolving management and infrastructure approaches to CAD in the Cloud
- hardware considerations for CAD in the Cloud
- and other insights into CAD in the Cloud
For example, in this Figure 14 below, we see current usage and plans for evaluation and implementation in the next 12 months and beyond.
Figure 17 below shows how those implementing and planning to implement CiC, broken down by Manufactuirg, AEC and Other sectors, are pretty evenly distributed, with the manufacturing vertical coming out slightly ahead.
We believe there is some more work that can be done to change attitudes towards CAD in the Cloud. At many sites, it is a top-down process as company executives opt for the predictability of subscriptions and cloud based provisioning.
Similarly there are differences by geography. Current usage and consideration is similar across regions, but APAC is significantly more likely than EMEA or Americas to be currently in a phase of implementation. In general, EMEA seems more reluctant to evaluate CiC than North America or APAC. EMEA companies (44%) for example are most likely to have basic awareness of CiC with no further investigation or consideration having taken place compared to Americas 27% and APAC 24%.
Many vendors have not spelled out their commitment to cloud based work-flows even though they may have more quietly let it be known to long term customers, major accounts, and to analysts. We also looked at attitudes of Autodesk users compared to non-Autodesk users and we have found Autodesk users to be more open to the cloud. Autodesk communicated with its customers about the advantages of CAD in the cloud. It has rolled out various cloud-based benefits to its customers on maintenance and now subscription plans.
The report is available for purchase online via the JPR store or via Purchase Order to Jon Peddie Research or Business Advantage. The cost of a site license for the report varies by size of organization:
- Single User or small firm (up to 10 people), US$4,999
- Department or small firm (10 to 100 people), US$6,500
- Large firm/site license, US$10,000
US, Americas & APA
For enquiries or further detail please contact any of the following:
US, Americas & APAC: Bill Gordon, Email: email@example.com or +1 650 558 8870
UK & EMEA: Chris Turner, CEO/Managing Director, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0)1689 873636
Worldwide: Kathleen Maher email@example.com or +1 415 435 9368
Errors and Omissions: We do our best to keep our website current and accurate, but typographical errors occasionally occur. We reserve the right to correct or cancel any orders based on incorrect or erroneous information. For questions about your order, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.