Market Watch (Q2'2021)
Market Watch is the JPR market report on GPU quarterly shipments
Jon Peddie & Robert Dow
JPR’s quarterly report Market Watch gives market share (in units) of all suppliers of graphics chips, integrated, embedded, and discrete worldwide. Historical data is included from Q1’04. Market Watch is supplied in electronic form and includes a written summary of the quarter and an in-depth spreadsheet.
Market Watch is a valuable resource for understanding the PC market providing insight into the capabilities of PCs in use today and coming in the near future.
The latest version of Market Watch is our Q2'2021 Report.
GPU shipments soar in Q2 year-over-year
The PC GPU market shipments increased by 3.4% sequentially from last quarter and increased by 37% year-to-year.
Jon Peddie Research reports the growth of the global PC-based Graphics Processor Units (GPU) market reached 123 million units in Q2'21 and PC CPU shipments increased by 42% year-over-year. Overall, the installed base of GPUs will grow at a compound annual growth rate of 3.5% during 2020–2025 to reach a total of 3,318 million units at the end of the forecast period. Over the next five years, the penetration of discrete GPUs (dGPU) in the PC will grow to reach a level of 25%.
AMD's overall market share percentage from last quarter decreased by -0.2%, Intel's market share increased 0.1%, and Nvidia's market share increased 0.06%, as indicated in the following chart.
|Quarterly shipments and market share percentages and year-to-year results|
Overall GPU unit shipments increased by 3.4% from last quarter, AMD shipments increased 2.3%, Intel's shipments rose 3.6%, and Nvidia's shipments increased 3.8%.
- The GPU's overall attach rate (which includes integrated and discrete GPUs, desktop, notebook, and workstations) to PCs for the quarter was 117%, down -0.1% from last quarter.
- The overall PC CPU market increased by 3.5% quarter-to-quarter and increased 42.1% year-to-year.
- Desktop graphics add-in boards (AIBs that use discrete GPUs) decreased by -2.9% from the last quarter.
- This quarter saw a 3.4% rise in tablet shipments from last quarter.
The second quarter is typically down compared to the previous quarter, however, this quarter saw GPU shipment increase by 3.4% quarter-to-quarter.
GPUs are traditionally a leading indicator of the market since a GPU goes into every system before the suppliers ship the PC. This quarter the attach rate dropped due to the increase in Chromebook sales.
The total (desktop and notebook) market share for the two dGPU suppliers is shown in the following table.
|PC dGPU shipment market shares|
In a year like no other, suppliers reported shortages of component parts, capacitors, substrates, and other items. Even companies with a diverse portfolio were forced to allocate to the various segments they served. No one was happy about it, and unfortunately, the upcoming inventory build-out for the holiday season that usually takes place in the third quarter will be constrained until the supply chain catches up with demand.
Jon Peddie, President of JPR, noted, “Covid has distorted every forecasting model in the universe—even Moore’s Law has been disrupted. Predictions based on short-term conditions have created conflicting and distorted estimates from some quarters that will be proven wrong and embarrassing.”
Most of the semiconductor vendors are guiding up for the next quarter by an average of 3%. Some of that guidance is based on normal seasonality, but there is still a Coronavirus impact factor and a hangover in the supply chain.
A subscription to Market Watch includes 4 reports distributed quarterly, reports consist of a detailed spreadsheet, report highlights include:
- Worldwide GPU and PC Shipment Volume, 1994 to2025.
- Detailed worldwide GPU Shipment Volume, 1Q 2001 to date, and forecast to 2025
- Major suppliers: Detailed market share data on the shipments of AMD, Intel, Nvidia, and others.
- Market forecasts: a detailed spreadsheet and supporting charts that project the supplier’s shipments over the period 2001 to2025. Projections are split into platforms and GPU types.
- GPUs: History, status, and analysis.
- A vision of the future: Built upon a solid foundation of facts, data, and sober analysis, this section pulls together all of the report's findings and paints a vivid picture of where the PC graphics market is headed.
- Charts, graphics, tables, and more: Included with this report is an Excel workbook, which contains the data we used to create the charts in this report. The workbook has charts and supplemental information.
Subscribers also get four-hours of consulting time to discuss the market, products, forecast, and any other related issues.
Each quarterly report consists of a written (PDF) narrative about the market and an in-depth spreadsheet with Pivot table.
Errors and Omissions: We do our best to keep our website current and accurate, but typographical errors occasionally occur. We reserve the right to correct or cancel any orders based on incorrect or erroneous information. For questions about your order, contact email@example.com.