Turin, Italy, is known for its rich history as well as its current thriving economy. It is also known for its VIEW Conference, which has been growing and expanding since it began in 2000. Initially called Virtuality Conference, the name of this yearly conference was changed in 2007 to VIEW, for Virtual Interactive Emerging World, and its focus extended from virtual reality to include additional emerging digital technologies such as animation, special effects, virtual architecture, and video games.
This year, the VIEW Conference will be an online and in-person event from October 16 to 21. It will feature a special summit on the metaverse and a focused conference track on the field of virtual production—two topics dominating the industry at this time. Julien Fournié, CEO, and Jean-Paul Cauvin, COO, of Julien Fournié Haute Couture will conduct a live, on-stage fireside chat with Epic Games’ Marc Petit, as these explorers of the metaverse will discuss their innovative work with PUBG Studios and present their vision of how art can combine in the metaverse. Founded in 2009 and based in Paris, the fashion house Julien Fournié Haute Couture is committed to integrating the latest digital tools into its workflow and has forged unique partnerships with high-profile technology companies including Apple and Dassault Systèmes. Thanks to a collaboration with PUBG Studios, outfits designed by Fournié have been integrated into the latest video games.
Meanwhile, the impressive speaker list continues to grow and will continue to grow. Among those confirmed thus far are:
- Rob Minkoff, director (The Lion King and Mr. Peabody and Sherman), will speak about his latest movie, Paws of Fury: The Legend of Hank, Paramount Animation
- Peter Ramsey, Oscar-winning director, will talk about the Netflix animated series Lost Ollie.
- Shannon Tindle, Emmy-winning director, will present his latest creation, Lost Ollie.
- Ramsey Naito, president of Nickelodeon Animation and Paramount Animation and producer of “The Boss Baby.”
- Kristine Belson, President of Sony Pictures Animation.
- Marc Petit, visionary thinker and vice president and general manager of Epic Games’ Unreal Engine, will lead a metaverse track.
- Julien Fournié, haute couture designer who investigates the metaverse and CEO of Julien Fournié Haute Couture.
- Jean Paul Cauvin, who investigates the metaverse and COO Julien Fournié Haute Couture.
- Sebastien Deguy, vice president of 3D and immersive technology at Adobe.
- Rob Bredow, visionary senior vice president and chief creative officer of Industrial Light & Magic, will lead a virtual production track.
- Roy Conli, Oscar-winning producer, will deliver a presentation on Disney’s upcoming animated feature Strange World.
- Doug Chiang, legendary Oscar-winning vice president and creative director at Lucasfilm.
- Ben Morris, Oscar-winning visual effects supervisor and creative director of ILM London, whose latest work includes the groundbreaking ABBA The Concert featuring photoreal “ABBA-tars” of the pop band performing live in a specially built UK venue.
- Kevin Baillie, production VFX supervisor of Disney’s new Pinocchio (2022).
- Janet Muswell Hamilton, senior vice president of visual effects at HBO.
- Jay Worth, VFX supervisor, will discuss the extraordinary imagery of HBO’s sci-fi series Westworld.
- Danielle Feinberg, visual effects supervisor of Turning Red from Pixar Animation Studios.
- David Vickery, overall VFX supervisor on Jurassic World Dominion, BAFTA and VES winner, ILM.
- Fran Kalal, simulation and tailoring supervisor on LightYear from Pixar Animation Studios.
- Alex Schwartz, executive producer (Mr. Peabody and Sherman and The Addams Family) presents Paramount Pictures’ “Paws of Fury: The Legend of Hank.”
- Kris Pearn, director of The Willoughbys and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2.
- Paul Debevec, director of research, creative algorithms, and technology at Netflix, will speak about virtual production.
- Steve May, Pixar’s visionary chief of technology.
- Dylan Sisson, one of the creative pioneers behind Pixar’s RenderMan.
- Eloi Champagne, interactive storytelling specialist, will discuss his work as technical director at the National Film Board of Canada.
- Jan-Bart van Beek, BAFTA winner and studio director, Guerrilla Games, will be presenting Horizon Forbidden West, the critically acclaimed action role-playing game from Sony Interactive Entertainment.
- Kevin Grow, from Insomniac Games, maker of Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, the award-winning game developed for Sony’s PlayStation 5.
- Scott Eaton, an artist exploring figurative representation and abstraction by combining traditional mediums with machine learning and other digital tools.
- James Knight, global director, Media & Entertainment/Visual Effects at AMD.
- Richard Bluff, VFX supervisor, The Book of Boba Fett.
- Dadi Einarsson, VES, BAFTA, and Primetime Emmy Award-winning VFX supervisor on The Witcher.
- Juri Stanossek, VFX supervisor at Accenture.
- Heiko Burkardsmaier, VFX executive producer and head of Business/Legal Affairs at Accenture.
- Hal Hickel, animation director, ILM, and Academy Award and BAFTA winner.
- Nikola Damjanov, lead game artist at Nordeus.
More information about the conference, including tickets, can be found on the VIEW Conference website.