Jon Peddie Research, the market research firm for the computer graphics industry, has released its quarterly Market Watch report on worldwide GPU shipments used in PCs for Q3'18.
Overall GPU shipments increased 10.64% from last quarter, AMD shipments increased 6.5%, Nvidia increased 4.3%, and Intel increased 13.1%.
AMD’s market share from last quarter decreased -0.6%, Intel’s increased 1.5%, and Nvidia's market share decreased -0.97%.
Year-to-year total GPU shipments decreased -2.2%, desktop graphics decreased -16%, notebooks increased 7%.
“The effect of crypto-mining on desktop discrete GPU sales is over, leaving AMD and Nvidia with an oversupply in the channel and impacting shipment levels,” said Dr. Jon Peddie, President of JPR. “The U.S. tax increase on products from China has had a small effect which may worsen in Q4. The drop in the U.S. stock market has caused consumers and enterprise to hold off on purchases. All of that has contributed to the slow sell-off of inventory in the channel, which has reduced demand to the suppliers.”
In the seasonal cycles of the past, the third quarter typically sees the strongest increase from the previous quarter. For Q3'18, it increased 10.6% from last quarter and was above the ten-year average of -1.33%. This year, however, the increase was due to Intel catching up with its backlog; discrete GPUs were down.
- AMD’s overall unit shipments increased 6.51% quarter-to-quarter, Intel’s total shipments increased 13.11% from last quarter, and Nvidia’s increased 4.32%.
- The attach rate of GPUs (includes integrated and discrete GPUs) to PCs for the quarter was 141% which was up 3.08% from last quarter.
- Discrete GPUs were in 31.61% of PCs, which is down -3.54% from last quarter.
- The overall PC market increased 8.22% quarter-to-quarter and increased 0.30% year-to-year.
- Desktop graphics add-in boards (AIBs) that use discrete GPUs decreased -19.21% from last quarter.
- Q3'18 saw a decrease in tablet shipments from last quarter.
GPUs are traditionally a leading indicator of the market, since a GPU goes into every system before it is shipped, and most of the PC vendors are guiding cautiously for next quarter.
For those who wish to understand the PC market, an understanding of the highly complex technology and ecosystem that has been built around the GPU is essential to understand the market’s future directions.
The report contains the following content:
- Worldwide GPU and PC Shipment Volume, 1994 to 2023.
- Detailed worldwide GPU Shipment Volume, 1Q 2001 to date, and forecast to 2023.
- Major suppliers: Detailed market share data on the shipments of AMD, Intel, Nvidia, and others.
- Financial results for the leading suppliers: Analysis of the quarterly results of the leading GPU suppliers.
- Market forecasts: You will also be able to download a detailed spreadsheet and supporting charts that project the supplier’s shipments over the period 2001 to 2023. Projections are split into platforms and GPU type.
- GPUs: History, status, and analysis.
- Financial history for the last nine quarters: Based on historic SEC filings, you can see current and historical sales and profit results of the leading suppliers.
- A vision of the future: Built upon a solid foundation of facts, data, and sober analysis, this section pulls together all of the report's findings and paints a vivid picture of where the PC graphics market is headed.
- Charts, graphics, tables, and more: Included with this report is an Excel workbook. It contains the data we used to create the charts in this report. The workbook has the charts and supplemental information.
JPR also publishes a series of reports on the PC Gaming Hardware Market, which covers the total market including system and accessories, and looks at 31 countries. More information can be found here: Worldwide PC Gaming Hardware Market Report Series
Pricing and Availability
JPR’s Market Watch is available now and sells for $2,500. Included with this report is an Excel workbook with the data used to create the charts, the charts themselves, and supplemental information. The annual subscription price for JPR's Market Watch is $5,000 and includes four quarterly issues. Full subscribers to JPR services receive Tech Watch (the company's bi-weekly report) and a copy of Market Watch as part of their subscription.
About Jon Peddie Research
Dr. Jon Peddie has been active in the graphics and multimedia fields for more than 30 years. Jon Peddie Research is a technically oriented multimedia and graphics research and consulting firm. Based in Tiburon, California, JPR provides consulting, research, and other specialized services to technology companies in a variety of fields including graphics development, multimedia for professional applications and consumer electronics, high-end computing, and Internet-access product development. JPR’s Market Watch is a quarterly report focused on the market activity of PC graphics controllers for notebook and desktop computing.
Jon Peddie, Jon Peddie Research
Robert Dow, Jon Peddie Research
Carol Warren, Crew Communications
JPR’s Market Watch is a trademark of Jon Peddie Research. All other trade names and trademarks referenced are the property of their respective owners.