Jon Peddie Research, the market research firm for the computer graphics industry, has released its quarterly Market Watch report on worldwide GPU shipments used in PCs for Q4'18.
Overall GPU shipments decreased -2.65% from last quarter, AMD shipments decreased -6.8% Nvidia decreased -7.6% and Intel's shipments, decreased -0.7%.
AMD's market share from last quarter decreased -0.6%, Intel's increased 1.4%, and Nvidia's market share decreased -0.82%.
Year-to-year total GPU shipments decreased -3.3%, desktop graphics decreased -20%, notebooks increased 8%.
Although overall GPU shipments declined PC sales saw an uptick of 1.61% which is a positive sign for the market overall.
“The channel’s demand for add-in boards (AIBs) in early 2018 was out of sync with what was happening in the market,” said Dr. Jon Peddie, president and founder of Jon Peddie Research. “As a result, the channel was burdened with too much inventory. That has impacted sales of discrete GPUs in Q4, and will likely be evident in Q1, and Q2’19 as well.”
The fourth quarter is typically flat to up from the previous quarter in the seasonal cycles of the past. For Q4'18 it decreased -2.7% from last quarter and was below the ten-year average of an 11.59% increase.
- AMD’s overall unit shipments decreased -6.81% quarter-to-quarter, Intel’s total shipments decreased -0.67% from last quarter, and Nvidia’s decreased -7.62%.
- The attach rate of GPUs (including integrated and discrete GPUs) to PCs for the quarter was 135% which was down -5.92% from last quarter.
- Discrete GPUs were in 27.78% of PCs, which is down -3.83% from last quarter.
- The overall PC market increased by 1.61% quarter-to-quarter and decreased -3.79% year-to-year.
- Desktop graphics add-in boards (AIBs) that use discrete GPUs decreased -10.75% from last quarter.
- Q4'18 saw a no change in tablet shipments from last quarter.
GPUs are traditionally a leading indicator of the market since a GPU goes into every system before it is shipped most of the PC vendors are guiding cautiously for next quarter. For those who wish to understand the PC market, an understanding of the highly complex technology and ecosystem that has been built around the GPU is essential to understanding the market’s future directions.
The report contains the following content:
- Worldwide GPU and PC Shipment Volume, 1994 to 2023.
- Detailed worldwide GPU Shipment Volume, 1Q 2001 to date, and forecast to 2023.
- Major suppliers: Detailed market share data on the shipments of AMD, Intel, Nvidia, and others.
- Financial results for the leading suppliers: Analysis of the quarterly results of the leading GPU suppliers.
- Market forecasts: You will also be able to download a detailed spreadsheet and supporting charts that project the supplier’s shipments over the period 2001 to 2023. Projections are split into platforms and GPU type.
- GPUs: History, status, and analysis.
- Financial history for the last nine quarters: Based on historic SEC filings, you can see current and historical sales and profit results of the leading suppliers.
- A vision of the future: Built upon a solid foundation of facts, data, and sober analysis, this section pulls together all of the report's findings and paints a vivid picture of where the PC graphics market is headed.
- Charts, graphics, tables, and more: Included with this report is an Excel workbook, which contains the data we used to create the charts in this report. The workbook has the charts and supplemental information.
JPR also publishes a series of reports on the PC Gaming Hardware Market, which covers the total market including system and accessories, and looks at 31 countries. More information can be found here:
Pricing and Availability
JPR’s Market Watch is available now in both electronic and hard copy editions and sells for $2,750. Included with this report is an Excel workbook with the data used to create the charts, the charts themselves, and supplemental information. The annual subscription price for JPR's Market Watch is $5,500 and includes four quarterly issues. Full subscribers to JPR services receive Tech Watch (the company's bi-weekly report) and a copy of Market Watch as part of their subscription.
Click here to learn more about this major report, or to download it now. Or, for more information, call 415/435-9368 or visit the Jon Peddie Research website at www.jonpeddie.com.
Contact Robert Dow at JPR ([email protected]) for a free sample of TechWatch.
About Jon Peddie Research
Dr. Jon Peddie has been active in the graphics and multimedia fields for more than 30 years. Jon Peddie Research is a technically oriented multimedia and graphics research and consulting firm. Based in Tiburon, California, JPR provides consulting, research, and other specialized services to technology companies in a variety of fields including graphics development, multimedia for professional applications and consumer electronics, high-end computing, and Internet-access product development. JPR’s Market Watch is a quarterly report focused on the market activity of PC graphics controllers for notebook and desktop computing.
Jon Peddie, Jon Peddie Research
Robert Dow, Jon Peddie Research
Carol Warren, Crew Communications
JPR’s Market Watch is a trademark of Jon Peddie Research. All other tradenames and trademarks referenced are the property of their respective owners.